Hello! I hope you’re all keeping safe, staying home and self isolating.
As COVID-19 continues to spread, infect and kill, I have taken a long look at what I can possibly do with my limited resources. I am a small business – I have no money to donate, I have no supplies to donate other than lace, rhinestones and ribbons and as far as our following, it’s very very small.
So I have decided to hand-make masks and include them in every order until circumstances improve. No need to use a code, I will automatically put a mask in with your order.
You may have heard that masks are not an effective way to tackle the virus, but this is wrong for a number of reasons.
- If you are healthy, a mask will block you breathing in some particles if an infected person coughs or sneezes near you.
- If you are healthy but have touched an infected surface, a mask will reduce the amount you will touch your face.
- If you have no symptoms, you could still be a carrier of the virus. A mask prevents other people from breathing in particles that you are breathing/coughing/sneezing out.
- If you have the virus and you cough or sneeze (you should be staying home in this case), you are reducing the risk of someone else contracting the virus from you.
I have been reading a lot about this as someone who wore masks on public transport before the spread of COVID-19 purely because I wasn’t comfortable breathing in other people’s coughs and sneezes on my way to work. The advice that masks are ineffective is a lie.
For more info including articles and scientific reports, I recommend either the r/coronavirus or r/covid19 subreddits. Here’s an example: https://old.reddit.com/r/COVID19/comments/futbte/in_2017_the_cdc_already_knew_there_were_evidences/
Importantly, I need to point out that this offer does not hold myself or Big Pink Boutique liable if you receive a mask and still contract the virus. This is simply a precaution to reduce risk. But wearing a rewashable mask and regularly washing your hands (and clothes!) if you’ve been outside is are effective measures and I strongly advise you to practice these.
Please note: if you have purchased a mask then the offer still applies. If you buy one mask, you will receive two. A free mask is included in every order. However, you cannot choose the colour, fabric or print of your free mask. I will aim to make sure in the case of ordering multiple masks, that your free one is a different fabric/colour to your purchased one, but cannot guarantee this due to limited availability of certain fabrics.
I send love and well wishes to anybody suffering with the virus, anybody who has a loved one affected and anyone who is still going to work and risking themselves for the rest of us. Remember to be kind to workers in these uncertain times and help others where you can (from a distance).
Lots of love,
– Brooke, Big Pink Boutique